Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Well We Tease Him A Lot 'Cause We Got 'Em On The Spot....


Hi Friends, Readers and Friendly Readers. I hope this is finding you well.

Please excuse my absence. There are a whole lot of reasons as to why I haven't dropped much on the Internets in the past year or so. Some are interesting, most are not.

The "I" column:

1. Six-month home renovation requiring 8-10 hours of manual labor most days of the week. My pregnant wife made due living in two Sheetrock dust-infested rooms. Not much energy left for Tweeting about favorite new breakfast spot. Sorry, I know you were dying to find out.

2. Arrival of baby boy October 27, 2012. Isaac Magnus Mead. Come on, feel the love:




















3. Damn, that's one first-class child.

4. Acquisition of new home studio gear that has led to many more hours spent creating music as opposed to reading about/listening to/writing about/attempting to market/keeping tabs on the industry of... music.

5. Renewed interest in playing soccer/football.

The "N.I." Column

1. Re-prioritization of free time, probably due to arrival of aforementioned first-class child, that has led to the conclusion that, for me, there is not much worth doing on the Internets besides tracking down vintage Umbro soccer jerseys on Ebay and answering the very occasional personal email.

2. Moment of clarity...

Wait, this stuff has already been declared 'Non-Interesting;' why am I still writing it down? My apologies, let's move on.

Something about becoming a parent has made it clear to me that I have fewer purposes in life than I thought. This is a relief. Things seem to fall into place when I simply dedicate myself to being a better father, husband and maker of music. And soccer player. And not much else.

I have been making a whole lot of sounds in my little basement studio. Most of it is all over the place, stylistically, so I have felt unsure about 'properly' recording it (with people who actually know what they are doing) or releasing it on my own. Regardless, I can't sit down here forever claiming to be a music maker while never letting anything escape these grimy stone walls, so I'm going to just start putting things up here. I don't have designs on compiling any of it into a larger compilation for the moment, so think of this as an audio diary with very little shape for now.

This first number is something I wrote for one of my fake bands, who had a name until I just wrote it here and realized how stupid it looked. We'll call them Brand 0 for now. You will be hearing more from them in the coming weeks.

Thank you for listening, I hope you like it.

POSTER CHILD (Brand 0)



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gaaaaah I'm so happy you have offspring!!!! Congratulations of epic proportions are in order!

Gus said...

Welcome back. Your posts are the sweet chocolate truffle to the brain. I enjoy your mental meanderings as much as your plotted lyrics. Must be something in your writers coffee. Anyway, just wanted to let you know someone is listening. Congrats on the new bundle. May he forever teach you the stuff you never knew you wanted to know. Cheers.

Sam's Myth said...

Congrats man!

And love the new tune!

Sam

Greg B said...

Congrats on the addition to the family! =) Thanks for posting the tune too; I always enjoy your music.

Greg B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lokelani Forrest said...

I'll try to leave a comment again. I REALLY like that tune. I got your blog from your mom's post. My son is a musician as well, and has done many recording projects. Look him up on FB, Cash Creek.

Unknown said...

Great write up Dave and great to hear what's going on with you. I hope I get to meet the little man soon...that kids got the Dave Mead good looks. Congrats!!

utterlylinda said...

When you fell off the grid (from my point of view) I was hoping you were in production working on something special. I didn't have an inkling just how special it would turn out to be. Isaac is your best production yet!

Brigid Kaelin said...

Congratulations! That is the best news. I had a baby last fall too ... so bring your family up to Louisville and play a show sometime. Our boys can bang wooden spoons together. xoxo